Sunday 25 October 2015

Zaifro (442) - My Pregnancy and My Cats

Many tend to send away their pets (especially cats) when they get to know they are expecting a new born soon in the family.

I am currently on my 26 weeks pregnancy. My husband's family members and some friends urge me to send away my cats. They told me cat fur is not good for the baby, it may cause baby to have respiration problems. Cat's have transmitted diseases that may cause miscarriage as well. Well frankly, I am sick and tired of hearing all these comments. I don't blame them. They have very less knowledge about having cats as pet. Luckily my mum and dad are very open about it. I thank them for never ask me to send my cats away. 

Kusky and Zafiro are my eldest and second boy, I am expecting my third boy to join as part of the family by early next year. They are all my children, so no one will be sent away. I have prepared for the worst: if this little one really have allergic reaction to cat dandraft, I will prepare a special room for my cats later on. Frankly, I don't have plan to separate them until I see allergic symptoms start to emerge.

In fact, research has confirmed that babies who grow up in homes with a pet — namely a dog or a cat — are less likely to get sick than children who live pet-free (http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/09/study-why-dogs-and-cats-make-babies-healthier/). Kids from homes with cats were 6% more likely to be healthy than those in cat-free families.

Of course there are a few things that pregnant women need to be alert and aware of if they have cat as pet at home. As long as you understand what is Toxoplasmosis, how it is spread and how to avoid it from spreading, you do not have to send your furry kids away during your pregnancy. I still share my food with Zafiro occasionally, sleeps with them, sniff their tummy. Nothing has changed except I cut down my routine to clean up cat litters.
http://www.petmd.com/cat/care/evr_ct_pregnancy_and_cat_litter_toxoplasmosis 

Here is also some information on how to prepare your pets to welcome a new born in the family. http://pets.webmd.com/features/pets-and-new-baby?page=1 

I am happily looking forward to see my baby growing up with 2 guardian angels!



I like this photo very much. Coincidentally we both look at the tummy at the same time. This shoot was taken naturally. Love it so much!




1 comment:

  1. Congratulation to you ! And also thankful that you not consider sending furkids away (Read too many news about abandon furkids because of pregnant),.Just be more aware and ask hubby clean up cat litters for you ;) Enjoy the pregnancy !

    ReplyDelete